The East Church, known originally as the Chapel of Ease, was built in 1798 to seat 1,100 people. This building was located on the site where the current church hall stands.
In 1898, the church was remodelled by a firm of local architects, Ross and MacBeath. It was extended into the space between the original building and Academy Street. The façade in early Gothic style has three doorways and an octagonal bell lantern at the corner with Margaret Street. A magnificent tile floor was installed in the vestibule by Craven and Dunnill, the creators of the mosaics on the former Rose Street Foundry / AI Welders building.