Burnett’s Inverness Bakery Ltd operated in Inverness from 1897. They moved to 44 and 46 Academy Street in 1922, which became a regular venue for Invernessians.
It was well-equipped with two bakeries, a dining room, tea room, coffee room and smoke room.
The building was altered in 1929, extending the bakehouse and front shop and creating a large dining/function room on the first floor.
Older Invernessians remember the waitresses looking very smart with their black dresses and aprons in the Tea Room and describe it as “a real restaurant…with silver service”.
The bakery made a range of breads, biscuits, pies and cakes. The well-to-do would have their wedding cakes made at Burnett’s.